Life with Ella and Emerson

This is a blog dedicated to my beautiful daughters, Ella and Emerson. Emerson was diagnosed with a rare, genetic disorder called Williams Syndrome when she was 5 months old.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

New 1 Year Pictures!

Here is my little sweetie at her 1 year photo shoot. Anyone else dread going to get these pictures taken? Emerson was such a good girl that day. Very easy going and smiling at all the kids and photographers running around. Of course, all the smiling stopped as soon as the camera came out. Oh well, she looks beautiful with her serious face. :)

This past week we went to visit Emerson's Cardiologist. After weighing her, (19lbs, 2oz), he listened to her heart and felt that her murmur sounds exactly the same as it had her previous 2 appointments so he doesn't suspect any worsening. Great news! He is working in conjunction with Em's Nephralogist to try and decrease her blood pressure, but told us that if we can get it around 100 that would be great. Apparently, blood pressures in kids (and adults I suspect) with WS are difficult to control with medication.

Interestingly, Emerson's Geneticist called me this past week and told me another family with a 1 year old in this area was just given a WS diagnosis and asked if I would be willing to talk to them if they were up for it. I said, "of course". She told me they were having an extremely hard time with the diagnosis and the severe feeding issues that their child has. This child is on a feeding tube. I really do hope they contact me. I feel like I am over our "diagnosis shock" and may be able to help. It would also be great to know another family with a child the same age as Emerson.

I feel lately Emerson is having more days where she is just really "With It". I don't know why one day can vary so much from the other. Some days she is so interactive, rolling all over, really trying to crawl, trying to get our attention with her sweet smile, and playing enthusiastically with all of her toys. Other days, she is just the opposite. Just kind of blah. She will complain if I put her on the floor and doesn't want to move from my hip. I love the days when I see a real spark in her eyes and hope they start happening more and more frequently. This past week we have had a lot more "with it" days and Emerson has started going from crawling position to sitting up. She has done it now probably 10 times and each time Brian and I are grunting along with her to do it. When she makes it, she looks very proud and often starts clapping right along with us. Emerson has also really taken notice to when her mama leaves the room. She really wants to be with me all the time. It's so nice to feel that emotion from her.

One thing I really long from her is a great belly laugh. She definitely has a soft giggle, but we have yet to hear a true loud baby laugh. I am so sad when I hear babies younger than 6 months laughing more exuberantly than Emerson. Most of the time, Emerson just looks at us with mild amusement. Oh well, can't have everything at once. One more thing to look forward to with her.

8 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

I love the photos! I dreaded going to get ours done, too, but I'm so glad I did. His 2-year-old ones went worse than the 1-year ones...cried the whole time but they still came out great! Exhausting! And why is it 4000 degrees in those studios? I had sweat running down my butt crack the whole time I struggled with Erik. Sigh.

Helping someone else makes life so much better with this WS thing. It makes you feel like you are doing something, and that is a wonderful feeling. Good for you for helping someone, even if it's just being available at this point.

Just wait -- the belly laugh is coming. It will take some time, but it is coming. Erik's is the best sound in the world! I laugh right along with him.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Noel said...

I am glad that you will have someone in person to talk to. It makes a world of difference. I have two friends who are mom's with WS kids the same age that live within an hr from us. They are my rocks! It's is so nice to get our kids together and see that they are NORMAL, just a different version of it!
I feel for you with the heart and BP issues. Abi has both too. She has been on BP meds since she was 18 months.

Noel

9:40 AM  
Blogger Kerry said...

What AWESOME pics! I can't get over how much Emerson resembles Brady... I think with all these WS kids they look the most alike. Must be the chubby cheeks :)

That's great news from the cardiologist. We go tomorrow and I hope we have as great news as you did. What a great post!

6:16 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Kerry, That's so funny that you say that. I pull up your blog all the time and show my family the latest pictures of "Emerson's twin brother". They sure do look alike!

8:20 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

You've come a long way, baby, in a short time! You have started to heal, I can read it on your posts. I am so proud of you!!!!! Don't kill me for saying this, again I recall 12-14 months being a hard time with the moodiness. I think that is because their little brains say "move! walk! climb! Grab that toy!" and their bodies can't do it. I little internal struggle of sorts. Aww, great pics. I just sove Emerson, she is super adorable!
XOXO

7:30 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

tHOSE PICS ARE GOOD. wE HAVE NOT GOTTEN tATUMS YET ALTHOUGH WE HAVE TRIED 2 ALREADY...OOPS cap lock lol

Anyway Tatum acts the same way...I wish the girls could play together, all 4 of them :)

3:34 PM  
Blogger Teresa and Shawn said...

Emerson looks so beautiful - what a doll.

That's awesome about her cardio appointment (and her weight - I am so jealous!) as well as transitioning from crawling position to sitting. Clare still cannot transition to any position, so kudos to Emerson!

As for the laughing thing, don't be disappointed if it never comes. Clare still does not belly laugh. But she has a little giggle and gives gigantic grins and cheesy faces now, so I have to content myself with those.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Ava's Grandma Kim said...

What a pretty girl! I love the photos. Emerson's eyes look so sparkly and blue. I know what you mean about the "with it" days. Nancy once told me to hang in there, that Ava would mentally "wake up" one of these days. She was right;Ava interacts with the world around her far more than she did just a couple of months ago. And Emerson will, too!

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home