Life with Ella and Emerson

This is a blog dedicated to my beautiful daughters, Ella and Emerson. Emerson was diagnosed with a rare, genetic disorder called Williams Syndrome when she was 5 months old.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

All I Want For Christmas Are My Two Front Teeth

True to the song, Emerson got her two front teeth on Christmas day. I'm sure more truthfully, her mom, busy with the hustle and bustle of Christmas, just happened to notice them on that day. One is already 1/3 out, so clearly it had popped through much earlier. Possibly this endless drippy nose and ear pulling has been due to the teeth rather than the cold I had been blaming.

Christmas was incredibly fun this year. Ella has such a sweet, fun spirit to her that Brian and I kept saying how we just have to remember each second. We have never taken so many pictures. Santa showed up at one of our family Christmas get-togethers and Ella stood by his side stroking his hand with a look of complete awe. She then sang made up songs the rest of the night about how great Santa is.

Emerson was also thoroughly enjoyable. She has become just the sweetest, easiest baby. We saw her for the first time work really hard to get her sister's attention with cooing and smiling initiating it all on her own. She also has an adorable new smile where she crinkles her nose and squints her eyes.

As the holidays are coming to a close and we are looking forward to a new year I have been taking a look back at the year. What a year!! It was (by a long shot) the most challenging year of my life. Most of it was spent trying to figure out what in God's name was wrong with my baby? Why is she so miserable all the time? Then once we had an answer, I spent much of the year trying to figure out why this happened to us. I still look at Emerson once in a while and wonder what she would be like if she just happened to have a few more genes on her 7th chromosome. The good news is that I am definitely doing that type of no where thinking a lot less. I hope this new year brings more acceptance, more healing of my heart, less what-ifs, and more fun. The one thing I know for sure is that I love my husband and my girls with all my heart and that I look forward to every moment that I spend with them. I want to enjoy each moment and take nothing for granted. Happy New Year Everyone!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Kerry said...

What great pics! Emerson and Brady look so much alike, chubby cheeks and all! I think we've all been there -- "why is this happening to my family?" There never seems to be a right answer. I hope we all find that peace - and here's to a healthy and happy 2007!

9:05 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I think the "nowhere thinking" will come back on you once in a while, even though it happens less frequently as time goes on. Just remember that it is perfectly normal and always will be. It helps me to know that Erik wouldn't have the same wonderful personality if he had those extra 20 genes. I wouldn't want that, although, of course, I will always wish his little body and brain worked correctly.

What a gorgeous shot of Ella by the tree. Wow! All of the photos are wonderful. Emerson looks wonderfully healthy and strong! What a doll! Keep those posts coming as you see fit!

Love from our family to yours. You are always in my thoughts and prayers.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Teresa and Shawn said...

You all look beautiful! Merry Christmas!

(Clare got the same animal train!)

9:20 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I love your new pictures...very cute. I know what you mean about Emerson, Emma was very cute and excited as well. It was a fun Christmas excption of illness... Tatum is so cute and happy even when she is sick. Happy New Year

12:38 AM  
Blogger Ava's Grandma Kim said...

You have a beautiful family! I love the picture of Ella by the tree. Her little baby tummy is adorable. (Why doesn't that same tummy qualify ME as adorable??)

Hang in there, girl. Sometimes it is such a rough road, but somehow we all get through. And don't forget--your blogger girls are always there for you!

Happy New Year!

Love, Kim

12:23 PM  
Blogger Aspen said...

I am terribly sorry that I am just now getting to your blog. I LOVE the Christmas pictures. What a beautiful family! Enjoy your new year. As they say in the WS world...the worst is behind you. Apparently the first year is the worst.

Gosh, maybe we should all get together so the kids can play with their "Amazing Animals" train. HA!

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home