Life with Ella and Emerson

This is a blog dedicated to my beautiful daughters, Ella and Emerson. Emerson was diagnosed with a rare, genetic disorder called Williams Syndrome when she was 5 months old.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

Monday, February 19, 2007

Where is the time going?

I have been very neglectful of my blog lately. I don't know exactly what I have been doing, but keeping busy is one of them. We finally have warmed up a touch here in Wisconsin. In fact, Ella's Auntie took her to the zoo today because it was a balmy 40 degrees outside!! Sometimes I definitely think, "Why do we live here???" Don't worry mom I'm not moving anywhere.

Very exciting sleep update: Well, about 12 days ago I decided to give this whole "Cry it out" thing a go. The first four nights were absolute torture. Emerson cried each of those nights for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. It was the type of panicked, awful, sobbing, hyperventilating cry that made every fiber of my being ache. I couldn't believe what I was doing. How could I be such an awful, terrible, uncaring mother. I just layed in bed and shook with self-doubt. I did not, however, go in her room. After 4 nights, I told Brian that this technique was clearly not working and we needed to come up with a new game plan. We decided to go in after about 20 minutes of crying and rub her back and calm her down. Well, the child decided that wasn't necessary and slept through the night for the next 7 nights in a row!!! Incredible! I can't tell you how thrilled I am to finally be able to get a full night sleep (well, in theory but now I have to learn to sleep through the night and turn off the brain, but that's a whole different subject!). The last two nights Emerson has woken up each night and only cried for 10 minutes and then put herself back to sleep. So that is awesome. The other huge thing I am doing is trying to always put her in her crib awake which is also working. So needless to say, I am still a huge proponant of "crying it out". It was pure torture and absolutely maddening, but it worked. I'm not saying we are completely out of the woods, but I do think she know gets that I am not coming to get her at night. YAH!!!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

You are doing great.

You have to do what is best for you and your family...if crying it out works, then go for it. It worked for us like a charm. He didn't seem to hold it against me, either.

Now how to transfer to the "big boy" bed...? Here we go again!

6:52 AM  
Blogger Kerry said...

Yeah, Emerson! And yeah Mommy... I know it is tough to hear them bellow down the hall... congrats on sticking with it :)

7:22 PM  
Blogger Kati said...

Hurray!!!! Congratulations!!!!
I hope you can sleep well and wake up every morning relaxed!!!!
The crying out worked for us, too :)))

Love, Kati

4:36 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

That is great sleep is a must!!! Tatum has been doing well also...Chris just commented that he was going ot have to set the alarm clock again since tatum has been "slacking" and by slacking i mean sleeping till 6:30...LOL

11:52 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

So proud of you guys, all of you, mom, dad and Emerson. It is a great triumph for you all and the healthiest thing for you all in the long run.
XOXO

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am SOOOO jealous! Daven wakes up 3 times at night and has never once actually put himself to sleep. I have officially lost all hope of ever sleeping through the night without interruptions.

So proud of you and again...SO jealous!

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home