Life with Ella and Emerson

This is a blog dedicated to my beautiful daughters, Ella and Emerson. Emerson was diagnosed with a rare, genetic disorder called Williams Syndrome when she was 5 months old.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Reverse Progress

Why as moms do we torment ourselves with guilt? I have read many posts about what more we could be doing and I am constantly reminding myself that I am doing as much as I can. Emerson's Speech Pathologist just left our house and I am feeling immensely guilty. Why??? Because he reminded me of the things that I should be working on with Emerson to facilitate communication. Of course I know all this being a Speech Pathologist myself, but for some reason I have been focusing on her crawling goals. I also have an incredibly demanding 2 1/2 year old who really wants my undivided attention 24/7. There is simply not enough time in the day to complete all that I want to with Emerson. I remind myself that she is not going to start crawling and talking tomorrow if I work with her for 15 more minutes today. Okay, big deep breath and let it out. Guilt all gone!!!

You may be curious about the title of this blog, "Reverse Progress". Well, Miss Emerson has decided that crawling or attempting to crawl or even lifting herself up onto all fours is waaaaaay too difficult. She tries for a little bit and then puts her head down and cries her eyes out, when I pick her up she sighs loudly as if to say, "Why did you make me do that!!!" She is quite a character. Her PT this past week also laughed how after every manuever she had her do, Emerson needed a tight hug. I think it is less emotional and more sensory related. She always feels better after a tight squeeze. So I will be very surprised if she suddenly starts crawling, she really just kind of prefers to be held. :)

While I was still feeling guilty about Emerson and what more we could be doing for her, Ella handed me this book to read to her...

Is There Really a Human Race? by, Jamie Lee Curtis and Laura Cornell

Is there really a human race?

Is it going on now all over the place? When did it start? Who said, "Ready, Set, Go"?

Did it start on my birthday? I really must know.

Do I warm up and stretch? Do I practice and train? Do I get my own coach? Do I get my own lane?

Do I race in the snow? Do I race in a twister? Am I racing my friends? Am I racing my sister?

If the race is a relay, is Dad on my team? And his dad and his dad? You know what I mean.

Is the race like a loop or an obstacle course? Am I a jockey, or am I a horse?

Is there pushing and shoving to get to the lead? If the race is unfair, will I succeed?

Do some of us win? Do some of us lose? Is winning or losing something I choose?


Why am I racing? What am I winning? Does all of my racing keep the world spinning?

If I get off track when I take the wrong turn, do I make my way back from mistakes? Do I learn?

Is it a sprint? A dash to the end? Am I aware of the time that I spend? And why do I do it, this zillion-yard dash? If we don't help each other, we're all going to CRASH.

Sometimes it's better not to go fast. There are beautiful sights to be seen when you're last.

Shouldn't it be that you just try your best? And that's more important than beating the rest?

Shouldn't it be looking back at the end that you judge your own race by the help that you lend?

So, take what's inside you and make big, bold choices. And for those who can't speak for themselves, use bold voices.

And make friends and love well, bring art to this place. And make the world better for the whole human race.


Gotta love it. I sometimes feel like God is whispering to me and in this case I was definitely being hit over the head.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kerry said...

SO cool.. I may copy that. I love Jamie Lee Curtis.

I also have the guilt, although I know in my head that I am doing fine. You're right - 15 more minutes isn't going to matter. And being a professional ST, you're probably doing things you don't even realize because you know what to do. Give yourself a break - she'll be chatting away in the not so distant future... then you'll have to listen to the girls argue ;)

6:32 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I want that book.....Tatum has not even started speech this do something called education first...It must be something with girls because the 3.5 year old wants undivided attention as well...Taum has also wanted to be held alot more lately.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Noel said...

Love the book! How true. I know what you mean about God hitting you over the head...happens to me all the time and I get to say " okay..okay..you got my attention..I'll listen"

Noel

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home