Life with Ella and Emerson

This is a blog dedicated to my beautiful daughters, Ella and Emerson. Emerson was diagnosed with a rare, genetic disorder called Williams Syndrome when she was 5 months old.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Playing with Navy Beans

Emerson had OT today and the therapist put her in a big bowl of navy beans. She loved it and kept digging her hands in and then very slowly pulling them out. I love the intense look she gets on her face when she is really focused in on something. Her mouth opens up and the tongue comes out. She kept trying to eat the uncooked beans and my paranoid mommy side came out and I finally told the OT, "Okay, we're all done with that." Emerson doesn't appear to have any sensory integration issues so far, at least they haven't manifested themself yet. She does love to spin around and around in her johnny jumper. When she would do this, I would always stop her because it made me ill to watch. Her OT told me to let her spin because it is good for her occular and vestibular development. "Okay little Em, spin away!!" I've worked a lot in the past with children with sensory issues so I thought I would put some ideas out there that are fun to do at home. 1)shaving cream in the bath tub 2)shaving cream on windows 3)making jello jiggler cut-outs 4)ball pits 5)indoor sand box 6) washing a baby doll and toy dishes with dish soap and making bubbles 7) making a sensory book with various textures on pages (ie. sandpaper, satin ribbon, noodles, etc...)

Emerson had been having a hard time eating in her high chair. She would go into some type of strange self-stimming behavior where she would put her chin down, stick out her belly, and pump her legs up and down. Needless to say, not a lot of eating was getting done. We then tried feeding her in the Bumbo, but I gave up with that because she became a slimy mess and was ruining all of her clothes. We finally figured out that putting her in the little Fisher-Price portable booster seat with it's own little tray was the answer. She fits perfectly in it and is the right size for her to practice with her finger-foods. It's amazing how much better she is getting at actually getting the food in her mouth. When we first started it was almost comical watching her try to figure out where her mouth was. She would get so mad and just toss her cracker to the side. She is definitely improved! By no means does she have a pincer grasp, but she is getter there. I am so appreciative of every little step of development we conquer. Each of these small steps is going to take so much work and effort. When she gets frustrated and puts her head down into the floor in frustration, I just want to hug and rescue her. We just love her so much.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kerry said...

Emerson sounds like she is just moving right along! How fabulous! Thanks for the helpful hints - my girlfriend always did the shaving cream thing and it looks like fun. Once Brady can sit up a bit better we'll do that.

Your OT doesn't have a problem with the Jolly Jumper? Both Brady's OT and PT were VERY much against it because they both said separately it can promote tiptoe walking. My PT doesn't mind the Exersaucer but my OT wasn't in complete favor of that either. Brady loved his Jumper, but it came down:(. His PT also said it was tightening the muscles in his inner legs right after she stretched them out.

My older son loved the jumper and we had no issues so it is probably on a case by case basis. I know you are a therapist so you probably have the inside track on all this stuff! :) I think I would get dizzy watch her spin around too!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Kerry - Thanks for that input. My OT didn't mention that and we only see the PT once a month. I will ask them both that specific question. Boy, will I be sad if they want me to stop using it. She is in sheer heaven jumping around!! Nicole

11:07 AM  
Blogger Aspen said...

Daven LOVES his jumperoo! And he loves to spin. Both of our therapist were okay with both. Jumping and spinning. I think it is a different answer and technique with each therapist.

Nicole, she is doing so well! Be proud of yourself. I just love the pictures. So cute!

12:11 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

They do the shaving cream thing at day care teh pictures are a trip....My OT also was not soon keen on the jumper she did not even dig the ssaucer...She suggested if I had to have one to get the jumperoo thing that i have. But she also said moderation is the key so I think that they are all fine just not in excess...

Emerson and Tatum have so much in common developmently, they are turning ito quite the little ladies eh... I'll have to post to show you how we feed Tatum but it is this table thing called a baby tunda...very cool

6:09 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Erik used his jumper constantly, but they told us it was bad, too. The real reason we stopped using it is because he wore it out one day, and the bungees disintigrated (we caught him). He ended up walking on his toes and now will be in leg braces for who knows how long, but I'm not entirely convinced that has ANYTHING to do with it. I would definitely ask, though.

I think you are doing a great job with Emerson. I'm glad she doesn't have any sensory issues. Erik has lost most of his except for his hearing. That's a BIG issue.

Okay, I'll stop blabbing now.

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home