Life with Ella and Emerson

This is a blog dedicated to my beautiful daughters, Ella and Emerson. Emerson was diagnosed with a rare, genetic disorder called Williams Syndrome when she was 5 months old.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

Monday, October 30, 2006

What is that smell??

Brian and I were just exhausted after the weekend. We did have a Halloween/kid's birthday party, but other than that we just hung out with the girl's and got stuff done around the house. Maybe we were tired because of daylight savings. Do you remember when you used to love daylight savings, YAHOO! an extra hour of sleep. Now with children it has a whole new meaning. Mainly in the morning, trying to convince them it is certainly not time to get up at 4:30am.

Anyway, Sunday evening we just fell into bed. Around 1am., we both woke up to the smell of smoke and flew out of bed. It was pretty strong, but we had no idea where it was coming from. It was literally just in our bedroom and in the powder room downstairs. After investigating for about 45 minutes we came up with nothing. I was ready to call the fire department, but what do you say..."Um, I think there may be a fire in my house, but I'm not sure". We then realized that the house was getting colder and colder and the furnace had not turned on. The smell was coming from the furnace, through the vents and now the furnace was dead. Great! Brian decided to stay awake, do some work and protect his girls. I went back to bed and pretended to sleep, waiting for the house to start fire. I was also incredibly paranoid because I put extra blankets on Emerson and I had to check on her every hour because I was sure she would suffocate. What a restful night of sleep...

Now today, I am waiting for the furnace guy to show up. Luckily, it is a gorgeous day so we are not freezing here in Wisconsin. Ella is refusing to nap, even though I know she is tired. UGH! Let's hope for some sleep tonight. Thank goodness for coffee!

7 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

If it is not one thing it is another! And a double whammy, DSL and a burnt out furnace. Hang in there girlie! P.S. You know when I say therapists are on crack I am just kidding, right? I hope you are not on crack!!! I would be lost without Avery's therpists, but sometimes I just need to vent a teeny little bit(:
XOXO
Amy

12:35 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Oh lordie, we went through the oily/hot smell thing all last winter. I was never happier to see a furnace guy, but the smell is gone, and I no longer fear not waking up! SCARY!

5:18 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

How scary! Over here, though Tom would be the one to go back to sleep while I stayed up and did a million or two things. :) He needs his sleep after all! haha

5:42 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Coffee is a must!!!!

I hate it when anything in my house breaks especially smelly ones that keep you warm. Glad you had a nice day so you ladies were not freezing while it was getting fixed...:)

7:14 PM  
Blogger Kati said...

Brrrrrrr, what a scary thing! I hope everything is okay since your last post and that smell went away!

Love, Kati

4:02 AM  
Blogger Teresa and Shawn said...

Too funny (not about the furnace!) because my exact comment to Shawn on Sunday morning was (when we were all up and raring to go by 5am) - "Daylight savings used to be fun. Now it just sucks."

11:58 AM  
Blogger Aspen said...

You are right about time changes. I swear the person who created the time changes NEVER had children. Oh, so hard to get everyone back in sync again. Sigh.

Hope the heater starts working again. Scary thing that burning smell!

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home