Life with Ella and Emerson

This is a blog dedicated to my beautiful daughters, Ella and Emerson. Emerson was diagnosed with a rare, genetic disorder called Williams Syndrome when she was 5 months old.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

Monday, November 20, 2006

Under a Microscope

Boy, are our kids under a microscope. We not only have appointment after appointment, but Emerson also has me scrutinizing her every move. Our biggest change lately has been switching over from Calcilo to regular formula. She was on 100% Calcilo for about 2 months and huge change was seen in her demeanor. She became a bright eyed, relaxed baby. Well, at her last GI check-up, her calcium levels still came back high (just mildly hypercalcemic). Her docs were concerned about this because where is this calcium coming from, they concluded she must be pulling it from her bones. Long story short, they had me start slowly reintroducing regular formula back into her system. We were doing great this past month with really no adverse affect and then we got to 3/4 formula 1/4 Calcilo and she started getting cranky. Some of the old behaviors started reappearing, rigid crying, tensely holding her hands across her abdomen, more fussing, poor sleeping. Oddly enough, her calcium came back just fine. So who knows, I feel like excess calcium definitely adversely affects her system even if the calcium numbers aren't showing it. From what I understand, they really don't know why some children with WS become hypercalcemic. Definitely an area where further research is needed.

Tomorrow we are going to see Emerson's Geneticist because I have also been concerned about her shakiness. It kind of comes and goes, but she appears jittery when reaching for objects. Last week for three days she also was strangely shrugging her shoulders like she was shivering. Now it is gone, thank goodness. So of course, thoughts of neurological problems or seizures come to my head, but maybe she just had a muscle kink. ;) Can low tone also cause shakiness? Sorry for this rambling post, I have just had these issues on my mind. I have also thought do I examine Ella as closely? I know that I do. If Ella was strangely shrugging for 3 days I would be calling the Doctor as well. I so wish that I didn't have these concerns and I could just enjoy my daughter without scrutinizing her, but I also don't want to overlook anything.

On a lighter note, I got away this past weekend on an overnight shopping spree to Chicago with my mom. We had such a nice time and it was so relaxing. We got a jump on Christmas shopping, ate sushi, and relaxed. What a perfect get-away. It was the first night that I have spent away from Emerson and it was much needed. How nice to sleep without a monitor attached to my ear. Thanks Brian for being such a wonderful dad to your little girls!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

If it makes you feel any better, Erik used to be VERY shaky and moved very strangely and slowly, like he was kind of underwater. It's hard to explain. As he got older, the shakiness subsided. He is only shaky now when he is anxious, and I imagine some of that will always be present.

I am so sorry you are going through the feeding/calcium difficulties. I hope you can find balance soon. Because we were not diagnosed until Erik was off the bottle and formula, he just screamed for the first few months of his life with seemingly no explanation. Who knows what his calcium level was? Scary.

Hang in there!

7:14 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I always wonder if it is natural for Tatum to Buck the way she does...I can not remember if Emma did that...

Very cool you got to get away and shop.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

I noticed a big change with Brady when we switched him to 1/2 Calcilio, 1/2 Enfamil. His calcium levels were only moderately high and they just went down after switching him. That's bizarre she is pulling from her bones.

I never would have brought Michael in for shrugging his shoulders - I would have figured it was a new "thang" he was doing, copying from Sesame or something. It's hard to remember that sometimes they are just kids - like, maybe Brady doesn't like apricots, not that he has a particular feeding issue. We have to think about everything with these kids - it's so frustrating!!!

On a sidenote, that sounds like a great weekend! It's nice to get away, hope your mom pampered YOU a bit :)

7:46 AM  
Blogger Aspen said...

I remember struggling to find the perfect fit for Daven when it comes to formula. He too was very cranky the first 11 months of his life. It finally started to subside a bit when we stuck to Enfamil Nutramigen. Good luck, I know how exhausting that can be. I wish I had an answer or quick fix for you.

What a great weekend! Sounds like an amazing trip.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Kati said...

I hope you can find the perfect formula soon...
Girls, maybe you throw stones at me, but Szabi is on formula at morning and evening yet :DDD
he is cling on his bottle after dinner and bath and I don't want to take it away from him... Maybe I have to have checked his calcium level...
Love, kati

4:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home