Life with Ella and Emerson

This is a blog dedicated to my beautiful daughters, Ella and Emerson. Emerson was diagnosed with a rare, genetic disorder called Williams Syndrome when she was 5 months old.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

Monday, August 27, 2007

So Long Summer!!

We had another beautiful weekend at my parent's cottage. We spent two straight days on their pontoon boat and I really felt like I was saying goodbye to summer. The weather was gorgeous, but for some reason Fall is in the air. It could be the fact that Brian is counting down the days for the start of the Wisconsin Badger Football season. Weekends are now going to be lost to football. The girls did pretty well on the water, but did get very antsy towards the end. Today I made sure to stay home all day just to get them back into their routine.

Ella starts preschool on Thursday and I am so excited for her. I know she is just going to love it. I can't believe all of the forms I have to fill out just for a 3 year old preschool program. That's my excitement for the evening.

While Ella is in preschool I thought Emerson and I would sign up for a "mommy and me" type class. It's interesting because usually I really don't give Emerson's WS too much thought. Well, that's not entirely true, of course it's there and I think about it, but I don't dwell on it. Well, then today I start thinking about a music class for us through Gymboree. One class is for kids age 10-16 months and the other is 16-22 months. Which one do I sign us up for?... Emerson will be 19 months next week. She is doing very well, but is not going to fit in her age-appropriate class. They will probably be doing marching and some following directions, and blah, blah, blah. However, I certainly don't want to sign up for the 10-16 month old class and be even more depressed and feel like I have to explain why she is so behind. So my point is that I was so excited for us to have this time together and then I shut off the computer and never signed us up. I will try again tomorrow and get over the fact again that she is not typically developing (of course!). Emerson is beautiful, snuggly, affectionate, and can melt your heart with a smile. She is absolutely learning and we have had a great burst in her receptive language in this past month. She can now point on command (most of the time)to her eyes, nose, and mouth. She can also sign or make sounds for elephant (her favorite), monkey, duckie, doggie. She is incredibly charming and this morning was trying to charm her PT out of working by engaging her in a game of peek-a-boo. She was covering her eyes and then lifting them off with such great flourish. She is who she is. I want to enjoy her and enjoy life! Okay, no more dwelling!! Sheeeeesh!

Emerson's PT brought over an old plastic fisher price grocery cart. We loaded it up to weight it down and took video of our little cutie-pie pushing it around. Notice the huge bag of coffee that we used as a weight, we do love our coffee around here. This was about our 4th attempt to capture her. We have a hyper doggie and a very engaging little 3 year old who doesn't want baby sister to have all the spotlight. Anyway, this was our best attempt. Introducing the almost-walking, EMERSON! Please remember that I said Emerson was almost crawling for about 6 months so this may be a while.

11 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Emerson is doing great. Noah is only a month older than her and she is actually walking a little better that he is with his push toy. You have beautiful girls.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

WOW!!! That is great! She looks so cute already knowing how to shop! :):):)

7:57 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Yeah, Emerson!! She is just adorable.

1:59 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Emerson is doing really well!!
Its great she is pointing to her facial feature now - Jaiden was well over 2 before he could do that.
She is growing up so quick! Gorgeous little miss :)

8:02 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

The girls are so cute I love the pictures...Emma is starting School too on Wed.... Emerson is doing so well thta is great !!!

7:50 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Your girls are adorable. I love Emerson's blue eyes!!

8:26 AM  
Blogger Teresa and Shawn said...

Emerson walking is absolutely fabulous! She is such an adorable girl! (And I love Ella's little voice in the background!)

My take on the Gymboree class (if you haven't already done this) is sign Emerson up for the class you feel SHE will have the most fun in. With Jamie going to preschool, I signed Clare and I up for a "gymnastics" class at the YMCA. I debated between the 12-24 month class and 24-36 month class (since Clare is 29 months). I finally settled on the younger class. Even though the children are younger than Clare, she will fit in so much better in that class. All those little ones will be toddling (as opposed to running and jumping like the 2-3's would be) and saying words (as to full out conversations). Although I do feel a twinge of pain not being able to put Clare in the appropriate age group as far as her age, I think she will benefit and have more fun being with children that are at the same developmental level and she won't be left out of any activities. I know that if I signed her up for the older class, I would be depressed every class because Clare cannot keep up.

Okay, long comment! Sorry!

10:42 AM  
Blogger Noel said...

I had the same problem with a class for Abi and myself. Ended up going with the younger class and then dropped out because I couldn't stop comparing and that made me HATE going. I hope that you do a better job than I did. It sounds like you are on the right track!
Emerson sounds like she is doing great. And both your girls are adorable!
Noel

12:49 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

The music class sounds like a great thing. Caleb would have absolutely loved that. Music is the only way we could get through to him at Emersons age. You should do it. Younger class. Then there won't be as much comparing as if you would put her in the older class. Don't worry about answering questions. More people need to be aware of WS. The girls look beautiful. I always love the ones where Ella is loving Em. so cute :) ~ Heather

4:08 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Aw, great video. You shouldn't have second thoughts about Emeroson, she is doing FANATASTIC and will have no problem keeping up!! Go Badgers! (Barry Alvarez was defensive coach at Notre Dame before foing to WI and I am great friends with his daughter. So weird to see him on tv now when we used to have sleepovers at his house!)
XOXO
Amy

12:41 PM  
Blogger Aspen said...

Oh my goodness! She is doing amazing! I have to admit that I don't even think Daven would walk around as big and tall as Emerson. And I love the giant bag of Starbucks coffee. HAHA!

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home