Life with Ella and Emerson

This is a blog dedicated to my beautiful daughters, Ella and Emerson. Emerson was diagnosed with a rare, genetic disorder called Williams Syndrome when she was 5 months old.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Update

Life continues to go at a frantic pace. We sure are keeping busy over here. Our new house is continuing to come to life and is just so exciting. Along with it, however, are daily decisions on things and not enough time in the day.

Emerson is growing and changing everyday. She continues to be my little snuggler and complete "momma's girl", which I love. She now crawls all over the house searching for me and once in a while I even hear a "momma". When I pick her up she gives me the sweetest hug and breathes deeply into my neck, smelling me, and makes me fall more and more in love with her. She is now also waving and starting to say "Haaah" and "Baaah", like we live in the South. Just today, when her daddy left the room she started crying and said, "dada" and was waving. It's that cute little wave where the fingers are clenching in and out towards her own face. Now, I probably won't see that again for a few months, but that's how it goes with Emerson. I also thought there was no way she would ever attempt the stairs, but this past week I found her five stairs up our staircase just sobbing. I think she started to go up and then panicked. Poor baby. She is starting to SLOWLY cruise along furniture, but only if there is something she really wants to get. Usually it is a center-piece at grandma's house that has stones in it which she very swiftly puts in her mouth. She is such an incredibly easy child right now. So pleasant and happy.

Ella has also eased up a bit. We are still battling once in a while, but the daily tears and frustrations with her have lessoned. I have really realized that how I handle her really makes or breaks her behavior. If I get frustrated with her and don't handle a situation particularly well, she acts even worse. If I just go back to the basics, make a behavior chart and really reinforce positive behavior she is so much easier. She is so much fun and so incredibly creative that everyday is an adventure with her.

We met with Emerson's Geneticist recently and also had Emerson's 18 month appointment (a bit early). Emerson is 21.4lbs (10-25th percentile) and 30 1/2 inches (25-50th percentile). Her calcium continues to be at the very top of the normal range so it looks like we won't be trying whole milk yet. She is still on a boosted up combo of Good Start and Calcilo. I am really hoping we can be done with the Calcilo soon because it is so darn expensive.

Brian's cousin is a photographer and spent the afternoon with us snapping pictures of the girls. I made a slideshow of a few of the best ones. They are about a month and a half old, but better late than never!

7 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Hi Nicole,
Those pictures are absolutely beautiful! It sounds like Emerson is doing so well.
Laura

2:46 PM  
Blogger Noel said...

LOVE,LOVE,LOVE the pictures. The one of Emerson crying I love the most!!!
Ella hiding is very cute too.
Glad things are going well. Hope you get in the house soon!!

Noel

5:03 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Those photos are fantastic!
Im glad to see you Ella is giving you a bit less grief :)
Emerson sounds like she is doing really well!

xxoo

5:04 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Very nice I love the princess pics...and Emerson and th dog are priceless...You are so right our girls would have a blast together!!!

9:41 PM  
Blogger Teresa and Shawn said...

The photos are beautiful - your family is gorgeous!!

That is great news about Emerson's progress!

5:07 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

It is great to hear how fantastic Emerson is doing :) The pics are so adorable - good to know all the right people :)

6:28 PM  
Blogger Aspen said...

I love the pictures! Beautiful girls! Sounds like both of the girls are doing very well. Hope you are enjoying your summer!

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home