Life with Ella and Emerson

This is a blog dedicated to my beautiful daughters, Ella and Emerson. Emerson was diagnosed with a rare, genetic disorder called Williams Syndrome when she was 5 months old.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Procrastinating

I should be cleaning the house because we have a showing tomorrow, but instead I thought I should update. Our house still hasn't sold and has been on the market now for 10 months!! UGH!! Our house that we built has been ready for us since January, but we just put it on the market as well. Very depressing. I am trying to stay optimistic about this whole situation, but am very frustrated. I am tired of trying to keep an immaculate house with two very messy little girls, one very hairy dog, and a husband. Need I say more?! I am also so sick of feeling anxious all the time. Okay, now that I have that off my chest...

Recently I decided to go back to my old hospital pool speech position that I held before Emerson was born. I quit working when Emerson was so incredibly colicky. Well, now it's time to go back. I have committed to work 3 shifts per month, all on the weekend. I know, not much, but when you haven't worked for two years it seems like a lot. I will be working in acute care doing mainly swallowing, speech, language, and cognition. Most of the folks I'll treat are post-stroke, although, there is a big variety. I feel a bit rusty and will spend a bit of time training and reaclimating myself. I'm pretty excited to go back to work doing a job I absolutely love.

The girls are doing well and we are keeping busy. Ella is such a bright kid and is obsessed with learning to read. She just got it in her head that she should be doing this, so we're giving it a whirl. I'm not sure what I'm doing, but I'm trying both phonics and sight words. She is also very funny and feisty lately. I think we are all ready for Spring. Yesterday, she got so frustrated with something and I heard her say, "OH DAN!!" Well, I inferred what she was trying to say and told her to never say, "Oh Dan" again.

Emerson is such a joy and is sooooo lovable. However, she can be needy. She loves to be held and spends most of her day following me around and asking for "up". She is saying more and more words and has new ones every day. Last night after I put her to bed she started crying hysterically. I thought for sure she was hurt and ran up to see what was the matter. As soon as I opened the door, she broke out in a huge grin and said, "Oh, hi mommy!". What a stinker, but she still got a huge kiss and hug before replacing her back in her crib.

6 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

That's great that you are returning to work. It's sounds like you really find it rewarding and that is important. The girls are sooo cute!

6:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nicole, Your girls are beautiful!

I am glad you are excited about starting work again, what a rewarding career you have and how blessed you are to have a job that you love doing!

I will say a prayer that all comes together with your houses, you are super mom! I'd be blogging every day to put off the house work!
Again you are amazing woman, mother, and wife. (two girls, a dog, husband, job and clean house) WOW!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

I will pray for you that things work out with your housing situation. It must be very stressful. That is awes ome that you are going back to work. It is also great that you are able to start out small. I also have not worked for over 2 years and I have no desire to return to what I was doing. I worked in activities on an alzheimer's unit for 10 years. Although I found it very rewarding it could also be depressing. I am much happier now. Your girls are so cute. Noah is extra clingy right now, I think it is the age.

8:38 PM  
Blogger camille said...

Emerson is such a ham! Connor's not talking yet but he does the same thing with crying in his crib and then as soon as we open the door he starts squeaking away.

Sorry about the house situation. That really stinks. I have some friends who have had their houses on the market for many months also. So frustrating. I really hope your current house sells so you can move into the one you had built.

That's great about the work situation. Sounds really fulfilling!

6:18 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Wonderful things sound like they are happening in your household. I am sure work will be a good "break" for you.
xoxo
Amy

7:47 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Hey Nicole, I'm sure you have mixed feelings about going back to work, but it will be nice to get out. Even if it is for work... Congratulations on finally selling you house!!!!! Yay!!! My daughter taught herself to read when she was 4. If it is something they want to do, they will put their minds to it and have fun doing it! Dr.Suess is great for learning to read. And just FYI, Caleb has been doing terrific with Hooked on Phonics, as a struggling reader. I think he has jumped a whole grade level since starting that program. It would be worth considering if Ella has any trouble. Well, have fun moving. It is a lot of work, but so worth it! the girls are gorgeous! Heather

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home