Life with Ella and Emerson

This is a blog dedicated to my beautiful daughters, Ella and Emerson. Emerson was diagnosed with a rare, genetic disorder called Williams Syndrome when she was 5 months old.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

Friday, October 26, 2007

Sick

This week my poor little girls have been so sick. It started on Sunday morning, they both woke up with fevers and Ella had a cough. Well, Ella's cough just got worse and worse. Yesterday, she went to the doctor's and was diagnosed with Walking Pneumonia. Emerson doesn't have a cough, but is so wiped out during the day and then not sleeping well at night. Maybe I should take her in to the doctor as well, but her symptoms are "really tired". It has been a long week, on top of everything Brian was out of town half the week for work. Nice timing. .

I just peeked in at Emerson who was watching Sesame Street . When I left her she was sitting upright. Poor thing.

Our new house is about 8 weeks from being completed. Now we are entering all the fun stuff. All of the millions of decisions we made, now we get to see them. I am trying not to second guess myself and just be confident in my choices. Unfortunately, our current house has been on the market since June and we have not had a call on it in about 2 months. Not good. I buried a St. Joseph and have said my Novena. In this market, St. Joseph can only do so much. :)

Other Emerson news, she is completely off the Calcilo and has been for a few weeks. She seems to be tolerating the soy milk just fine and we will get her calcium checked in a couple weeks. I had her speech therapy increased to once a week, she was only getting once a month, terrible, I know. I hope it makes a difference, but I am not overly-optimistic considering she lives with one. Anyway, her receptive language seems okay at this point. Her sounds and sorta words at this point are really limited. She says some animal sounds, cow, monkey, duck, horse, use to do dog. She once in awhile says, hi, mama, dada, ella, nigh-nigh. Oh well, I really didn't mean to complain about this, but sometimes it is frustrating that I went to school for something for 6 years and have many more years of student loans to pay off and I can't make any significant head way with my own child. In fact, it is the area that she is making the LEAST amount of progress in! I know that I just have to buck-up and she will talk on her own time when she is ready. Just wish I could help her along.

13 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Her and Noah are very close in age, and she sounds like she is verbalizing as much as he is. They will get there. Good luck selling your house.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gosh I hate it when our little ones are sick, I love the pictures, they look so mushy. Hang in there. I will say a extra prayer to St. Joseph for your house to sell as well!

11:27 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Nicole, I hope the girls are feeling better soon..
Hey, Em is so young. She will get there. Caleb didn't talk really until he was 2&1/2-3. and even then it was just a few single words. We couldn't understand him until he was 3. And the good sentences came around 4. Emerson has plenty of time. Good luck with your house. I'm not Catholic, but I hope St. Joseph gets to it soon. :)

4:26 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Wow-sounds like you've had a tough week with two sick ones and your husband being out of town. I hope they get feeling better soon.
I remember getting so frustrated with Payton not speaking (I'm not a therapist so I don't know exactly how you are feeling) but it seemed like finally after tons of hard work ALL of it fell into place. Like she just woke up one morning speaking sentences. It was so strange. Hang in there and don't feel like your hard work is going to waste - it's working...you just haven't been able to see it yet. I promise, one day you'll wake up and think "oh my gosh - where did these words come from!" :)

9:22 AM  
Blogger Kerry said...

I know she is sick... but the photo of Emerson sleeping is so cute :)

We started BRady on more calcium stuff- milk, etc, but I have not dumped the Calcilo mostly because it is free, vs my Enfamil is not. I am so cheap.... ;0)

8:10 PM  
Blogger Noel said...

I am sorry your girls are sick. They look too sweet though!

I am glad your house will be done soon and hope you find a buyer for yours.
Hang in there...it really is amazing they will jsut all of a sudden start talking. That's what has happened to the majority of parents I know. Don't beat yourself up...kids always resit when parents try to teach...

Noel

3:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I hope they are feeling better.
I love the pictures, they are just so cute.

3:06 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Don't be so hard on yourself Nicole! My guess is that you have made headway, it just can't be measured that way. Perhaps if you hadn't been a ST she wouldn't be saying anything AT ALL and her sensory issues would have been much much worse! Speech is linked to the brain, you can only to so much prompting, but if she isn't there yet, she just isn't! Emerson is doing super great, and is hitting things quicker than Avery did...you are lucky!!! Hope you all feel better soon!
XOXO
Amy

9:12 AM  
Blogger Penny said...

Your girls are so cute! I hopw they feel better soon.

My son, Keith is 4 and has Williams Syndrome.

www.PennyPerez.blogspot.com

3:37 PM  
Blogger Teresa and Shawn said...

Those photos are too precious. I hope the girls start feeling better soon.

Good luck selling your house! Just don't forget to un-bury St. Joseph once your house is sold. Shawn couldn't find him again in the yard, and things with our contract started falling apart. Shawn went out there in pouring rain, found St. Joseph, and the next day, everything fell into place again. Amazing!

4:19 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

Nicole, where do you find that formula? Grocery store? Online? I have never heard of it.

Penny

6:07 PM  
Blogger Ava's Grandma Kim said...

Oh my, the pic of Emerson sleeping is just precious.

Ava, too, is very delayed in her speech. She says mama, amma, yum, and wha-ah-u. Funny how I can perfectly understand her! Anyway, I think it's just going to happen when it happens.

Good luck selling the house:)

6:17 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I think we do have the same babies LOL actually today the the super market a friend asked Tatum where her teeth were and I nearly fainted when she put her hand in her mouth...this could be a total fluke but I am rolling with it LOL

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home